Revd Dr Simon Vibert
Director of the School of Preaching
MTh (Glasgow University), DMin (Reformed Theological Seminary, Orlando), PGDipLathe (Oxford)
Simon took up his post at Wycliffe Hall in 2007 as Vice Principal. He is also the Director of the School of Preaching and has a strong interest in training the next generation of Preachers. Dr Vibert was educated at Oak Hill College in London, Glasgow University, as well as Reformed Theological Seminary in Jackson, Mississippi and Orlando, Florida.
He was until recently Chairman of the Fellowship of Word and Spirit and is a Trustee of Latimer Trust and a member of the Church of England Evangelical Council. He has significant interest in theological training overseas, particularly in Tanzania, Zambia, Serbia and Haiti. He is involved in John Stott's "Langham Trainers" which seeks to equip Pastors around the world with the desire and skills for better bible preaching.
Simon has 18 years of experience in parish ministry; eight years as Vicar of St Luke's Church Wimbledon Park, and prior to that, Trinity Church Buxton, with a curacy in Houghton and Kingmoor, Carlisle.
Simon is married to Caroline and they have three children and one grandchild.
The Apostle Paul's words in Philippians 1:21 have focused my Christian life and ministry for the last 25 years: "For me to live is Christ, to die is gain". In life, this means working and living to the full; in death, this means the real hope of life eternal. I would love to model and teach biblical preaching which holds out Christ as the meaning of life - and our confidence in death.
- Marriage and Human Sexuality
- 2014. Till Death Us Do Part :Latimer Trust
- 2014. Stress: The Path to Peace
- 2011. Excellence in Preaching: Learning from the Best :IVP
- 2010. Lives Jesus Changed. Lessons about life from John's Gospel :Christian Focus
- 2005. The Diamond Marriage :Christian Focus
Recent Research Articles and Chapters
- 2015. “Preaching, Authority and the Exercise of Power” in Preaching and Theological Imagination. Eds Zachary Guilliano & Cameron E. Partridge, Peter Lang
- 2014. “Pictures, Windows and Mirrors as a Metaphor for Understanding and Teaching Hermeneutics Today” in For The World. Essays in Honor of Richard L Pratt Junior. Eds Justin S Holcomb & Glenn Lucke P&R Publishing
- 2008, September. Women in Ministry paper presented at the Evangelical Hermeneutics Colloquium. Nottingham
- 2012, April. Preaching, Authority and the Exercise of Power paper presented at the “Preaching and Theological Imagination” conference at Harvard Divinity School, Harvard
- 2006. “A High Calling: Conversion and Commission” in Pulpit Journey’s. G. Stevenson, Ed. Darton, Longman & Todd
- 2003. “Divine Order and Sexual Conduct” in The Way Forward? .T. Bradshaw, Ed., Hodder and Stoughton
- 2003. Remembering Jonathan Edwards .Churchman Vol 117/4
More “popular” level writing may be found on his blog and his website: