Revd Dr James Robson
Tutor in Old Testament & Hebrew
MA (Oxon), PhD (Middlesex)
Dr Robson joined the Wycliffe teaching faculty in 2010 and provides lectures and Oxford tutorials for students on the BA and BTh courses in the Faculty of Theology and Religion.
Dr Robson received a University of Oxford Teaching Award in 2011 “in recognition of the outstanding contribution made to teaching and learning” for his Weblearn (Virtual Learning Environment) site which reflects his passion for student learning and formation. His site featured as a case study on the University of Oxford Learning Technologies Group website and as a University podcast / YouTube video.
Dr Robson’s doctoral research was published as Word and Spirit in Ezekiel in the Library of Hebrew Bible / Old Testament Studies series (2006). His book Honey from the Rock: Deuteronomy for the People of God came out with IVP Apollos in Spring 2013. He is working on the Baylor Handbook to the Hebrew Bible volume on Deuteronomy 1-11.
Dr Robson is a member of the Society of Biblical Literature, is Secretary of the Tyndale Fellowship Old Testament Group, and was the Old Testament Lecturer at Tyndale Fellowship Conference July 2013. James is also an ordained Anglican. He and his wife, Bridget, have two teenage daughters. When he is not teaching and doing research, he enjoys his family, golf, mountain-biking, growing vegetables and armchair cricket.
- Biblical Hebrew (Introductory and intermediate)
- God and Israel in the Old Testament
- Prophetic Literature
- Wisdom Literature
- Hebrew Discourse Analysis
- 2013. Honey from the Rock: Deuteronomy for the People of God. Nottingham: Apollos
- 2012. “The Literary Composition of Deuteronomy.” Pages 19–59 in Interpreting Deuteronomy: Issues and Approaches. Edited by Philip S. Johnston and David G. Firth. Nottingham: Apollos
- 2011. “Forgotten Dimensions of Holiness” Horizons in Biblical Theology 33: 121-46.
Current Writing Projects
- "The Spirit in Ezekiel” in A Biblical Theology of the Spirit, ed. Trevor Burke and Keith Warrington (London: SPCK) (forthcoming).
- Deuteronomy 1-11: A Handbook to the Hebrew Text. Baylor Handbooks to the Hebrew Bible. Waco, Tex.: Baylor University Press.
- “Undercurrents in Jonah,” Tyndale Bulletin (forthcoming)
Recent Scholarly Papers Presented
- 2011, July. ‘The Composition of Deuteronomy,’ Tyndale Fellowship Old Testament Conference. Cambridge.
- 2013, Jan. ‘Undercurrents in Jonah,’ Senior Old Testament Seminar. Theology Faculty. University of Oxford.
- 2013, July. ‘Undercurrents in Jonah,’ Tyndale Old Testament Lecture.